This week in search, Google confirmed they did many minor updates around the time of what I called the Maccabees update. I analyzed it and it seemed to target keyword permutations and low quality, high ad web sites and more. Googleâs John Mueller said he would nofollow all guest blog post links, even ones that are high quality. Google has started new short webmaster videos named âSEO Snippets.â Google posted tips on the mobile first index. Google rebranded the rich snippets to rich results and launched a new tool. Google doesnât find it useful to crawl outside of the US. Google had a bug with their Search Analytics report in Search Console. Google talked about trailing slashes for URLs. Google said PWAs do not have a ranking benefit in Google. Google answered questions on IPv6 and HTTP/2. Googleâs new SEO starter guide doesnât have sections for page speed and HTTPS. Google is testing favicons in search results icon. Google AdWords is testing showing images from landing pages in their ads. Google overtook Facebook in referrer traffic. Eric Schmidt is stepping down from his executive chairman position at Google. The search community honored Doc Sheldon, Michelle Robbins, Jim Boykin, Cindy Krum and Mary & Dave Davies this week. That was the search news as we covered it at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Google Confirms Search Ranking Updates But Calls Them Minor & Many
- Google Maccabees Update Analysis: Sites Targeting Many Keyword Permutations
- Google’s John Mueller: Nofollow All Guest Posts Links
- SEO Snippets: Google Starts Up The Short Webmaster Videos Again
- Google Finally Posts Webmaster Tips On Mobile-First Index
- Google “Rich Results” Testing Tool
- Google: We Didn’t Find Crawling From Outside Of The United States Useful
- Google Search Analytics Bug With AMP Non-Rich Results
- Google On Trailing Slashes & How It Impacts SEO & Search Rankings
- Google: Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) Have No Advantage In Search
- Google: IPv6 & HTTP/2 Works But You Should Also Support IPv4 & HTTP/1.x
- The New Google SEO Starter Guide Missing Speed & HTTPS?
- Google Tests Favicons In Search Results Snippets Again
- Google AdWords Tests Placing Landing Page Image Into Ad Block
- Report: Google Overtakes Facebook In Referral Traffic
- Eric Schmidt To Step Down As Executive Chairman At Google & Alphabet
- Doc Sheldon – The Search Community Honors You
- Michelle Robbins – The Search Community Honors You
- Jim Boykin – The Search Community Honors You
- Mary & Dave Davies – The Search Community Honors You
- Cindy Krum – The Search Community Honors You