This week in search, Google documented their fake news efforts code named Project Owl. We covered a potential Google algorithm update, but it is unclear if there really was a big update. Google told publishers to noindex content from the AP, Reuters and other feed sources. Google released their new how search works site and with that shared some numbers of their search tests and launches. Google said they have no plans to boost the HTTPS ranking signal. Google said links from high traffic pages arenât any more valuable. Googleâs request indexing doesnât replace sitemap files. GoogleBot doesnât understand audio in podcasts. Google said they can check out SEO agencies that are scamming. Google seems to have AMP bugs in the search results, they also had an analytics issue with AMP. Google said patents and research papers are good but they donât mean they use it in their ranking algorithms. Google updated the how search works site. Google added more review filters to the local pack. Google is testing carousels in the hotel booking feature and they are also testing call to actions there. That was this past week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Google Owl Update Promotes Authoritative Content For Fake News Queries
- Was There A Google Algorithm Update On Monday & Tuesday? Unsure.
- Google Tells Newspapers, Like NY Times, WSJ & Others, To Noindex News Feeds
- Google: 1,653 Search Launches With 9,800 Live Experiments & 130,336 Search Quality Tests
- Google: No Plans To Boost HTTPS Ranking Factor
- Google: Links From High Search Traffic Pages Aren’t More Valuable
- Google Request Indexing & Crawl Direct Links Is Not A Replacement For Sitemaps
- GoogleBot Doesn’t Understand The Words In Your Podcast Audio Files
- SEO Agencies Spamming Google? Google Would Take A “Fair Look”
- Google Tests Dropping AMP Logo From Search Results
- Google Mobile Results Tests Dropping AMP Results Completely?
- Google Quickly Fixed The AMP Analytics Bug
- Reminder: Google Patents & Research Not Always Used In The Ranking Algorithm
- Google: Organic & Paid Search Policies Don’t Always Match
- Google Updates The How Search Works Site
- Google Adds More Granular Review Filtering In Local Listings
- Google Hotel Booking Interface Testing Carousel Layout
- Google “View Rates” Call To Action Overlay For Hotel Listings Search Results