This week in search, I dug deeper into the Google Fred update and discovered it targeted low value sites monetized via ads, affiliates and lead generation. Google also released a new quality raters guidelines to make sure they are doing a good job showing offensive, upsetting, inaccurate and hateful results less often in the search results. We also saw Paul Haahr from Google clarify what that means. Google mocked PBNs this week. Google said manual actions have no left over effects. Google said the page layout algorithm is still important. Google said you can rank for medium competitive keywords without links. Google may be showing inaccurate dates in the snippets. Google said the site command is not going away. Google is not adding a low quality page report to Google Search Console. Google doesnât seem to patrol the black hat forums anymore. Googleâs local pack has a new interface again. Googleâs John Mueller tried helping an SEO land a job at a big news publisher. Google AdWords is testing six or more ads at the bottom of the search results page. Bing Ads removed their trademark policy globally. Google Home had a developer integration that appeared as an ad for Beauty and The Beast. That was this past week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Google Fred Update Targets Ad Heavy, Low Value Content Sites
- Google’s Gary Illyes Latest Tweet Reference Fred?
- Google Algorithms Now Target Offensive, Upsetting, Inaccurate & Hateful Results
- Paul Haahr From Google Explains Offensive Vs Inaccurate
- Google Mocks PBNs, Suggests They Don’t Work
- Google: Revoked Manual Actions Have No Leftover Effects
- Google: Page Layout Algorithm/Penalty Is Still Important
- Google: You Can Rank For Medium Competitive Keywords Without Links
- Are Google Search Snippets Showing False Dates?
- Google: Again, Site Command Not Going Away
- Google Search Console Low Quality Page Report Not Happening
- Does Google Patrol The Black Hat Forums & Communities?
- Google Local Pack Removes Call/Directions Button For Featured Image
- Google Helps An SEO Try To Land A Job At A Large Publisher
- Google AdWords Tests 6 Ads At The Bottom Of Search Results?
- Bing Ads Removes Trademark Policy For Keywords Globally
- Google Home Beauty & The Beast Was A Developer Integration